The best way to get discount health insurance in Arizona is to live a healthy lifestyle. When you shop for insurance, you will have to fill out a company questionnaire, which will ask a lot of questions that will enable the underwriters to determine how much of a health risk you are and how much to charge you for that risk.
Here are a few things they will look at:
1. Health History: Do you have a history of good health or have you been in and out of the hospital for one thing or another. If you’ve had a stroke within the past 10 years, more than likely it will be difficult to obtain coverage or you may be penalized with a much higher rate
2. Weight: If you are overweight or have a BMI (Body Mass Index) above 39 you will have a difficult time getting insurance. If you do find a company willing to insure you, they will penalize you with a higher rate. To get the best rate, keep your weight in check. Things like exercise and proper eating will work to your benefit when it comes to rating your health insurance policy.
3. Do you smoke?: Smoking is not looked upon very favorably and you’ll incur a higher rate for this habit.
4. Age: Statistically, older people have a higher incidence of filing health claims than younger people. The younger you are when looking for health insurance, the better your premium rate.
5. Occupation: What do you do for a living? Desk jobs are much less hazardous than outdoor manual labor jobs. The more hazardous the job, the higher the rate.
If you’re not in perfect health, or you have a pre-existing condition that an insurance company will not want to insure, don’t despair. Ask the company if they have an exclusion rider that will exclude the pre existing condition. Sometimes you have to get creative to get the best rate.